Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Statement Of Aims

MEDIA STUDIES 
Statement of Aims 

In my work, I will be focusing on music marketing a new artist in a music video and magazine front cover & double paged spread from the record label 'Columbia Records'. 

When shooting my music video, I will be using a multiple 3 different filming locations throughout my music video give a narrative performance as well as including some scenes of performance to clearly establish the new artist that I am presenting. The locations I shall be using are in and around a home which will directly connote the lyrics within the song, I will also be using some scenes outside to give texture to the music video represent the genre of mainstream pop/indie. I will using a range of camera shots such as close up shots, mid-shots, as well as wide angles to highlight the narrative of the music and showcase the artist's struggle with being  on the road alone and the struggle of different obstacles we face in life; I will use these camera angles to symbolise the life stages she is experiencing at the moment in time which is also reflected in the lyrics being sung in the song and overall links to the narrative  that I am setting for the music video. Within in the mise en scene I shall be showing a Violet Andrews who is the artist being present in a teenager outfit and room to establish the clear indication that she is a teen and the struggles that she and most people are going through/have been through. I am using this to attract a mainstream audience of 30-49-year olds who will be able to relate as well as possibly seeing themselves within her. I will be using a range of camera shots like stated previously to create texture to my music video, keeping the reader intrigued as well as creating a good understanding of the narrative given. I will hope to use a summering presence in my video so that it fit with the uplifting feel of the pop genre and will again attract the mainstream audience who like thing type of music. 

Regarding my magazine, front cover and double page spread, I will be keeping an indie-pop theme to support and coincide with my music video so they synchronise together and therefore keep the theme of mainstream. I shall be achieving this by the colours and font used – in my masthead the title I shall be using is ‘vintage’ in a glitched san-serif font to appeal to a mainstream audience. Having the masthead name be ‘Vintage’ would reach out to an older mainstream audience in their 30 to 40’s so they could also identify with an older choice of music as well as liking music from an up to date mainstream audience; I have done this to accommodate the older audience as the artist I have chosen to go with is a teenager so to try and incorporate something a bit more mature I have neutralised my magazine. I have used black and white colours throughout the front cover to keep a neutral perspective and therefore reach a large number of people; as well as making the new artist that is being talked about stand out. I have also used a serif font in my additional title that will be placed below the masthead to add a feminine touch to the magazine. I have also added paint splatters on my main image to add a different texture and fun element to the otherwise minimalistic placement. The main image I am using is my artist lying down on the grass, using indirect mode of address with a carefree expression; this allows the audience to see a happy and fun image that contrasts the black and white theme. 

For my double paged spread, I have made it entirely about my artist, the masthead I used is a san serif that is decoration of my artists name ‘violet Andrews’. In my sub heading I will put the name of my artists song ‘wherever I live’ in a decorative font, then below the subheading I will but lyrics of the song in the same font as my masthead on my front cover. I will then use three pictures in a different location from my main imagine on my front cover for diversity. I will also include an article as well as an interview portion so that my mainstream audience will be able to get to know my artist. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brooke, this is a good start!
    Main points:
    -Make sure you are reading the brief and covering all bullet points to include in your statement of aims such as representations of at least one social group
    -Links/considerations for target audience
    -In terms of magazine: font, colour, images-your creative choices e.g. what will you be trying to connote by using that particular font/colour

    -Be more precise when being descriptive I.e: "I will use these camera angles to symbolise the life stages she is experiencing at the moment in time which is also reflected in the lyrics being sung in the song and overall links to the narrative" this statement could be worked on-as it is not exactly clear what how you will attempt to symbolise life stages.

    Hope this helps, feel free to speak with me regarding improvements when we catch up

    Best-Fay

    ReplyDelete